Tri Tip Recipes
Basic Tri Tip Recipe
Like a BBQ brisket recipe, simplicity should be the key strategy for your a bbq rub for a tri tip. This BBQ tri tip recipe will let the flavor of the meat sing and not overwhelm your tastebuds with anything that doesn't belong. The first thing to do is to grab yourself a tri tip from your local butcher, prime if you can find it. Be sure to trim off any excess fat, as this will add more flavor to the meat and help prevent flare ups.
- 1 Tri Tip
- 2 Tablespoons of kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons of freshly ground pepper
- Oak wood chunks
1. The first thing you want to do is to light your coals and set your grill with your coals on one side. Add your wood chunks on top of the lit coals. While your coals are getting ready its a good time to trim the fat off of your tri tip, if you haven't done so already. Mix the pepper and salt then sprinkle all over your meat with an even coat.
2. Once your coals are ready to go, it's time to place your meat over on the hot side of the grill. Sear each side of the meat over direct heat from five to eight minute a side. Once the meat has a nice sear, move it to the cooler part of the grill and you will finish cooking it with indirect heat. Cover your grill and cook to your desired doneness. Use a probe thermometer to check internal temperature. 120° F rare, 130° F medium rare, 140° F medium, 150° F medium well and 160° F for well done.
3. Let the meat rest five to ten minutes. Slice against the grain of the meat. Enjoy.